RSS
Just a kid with a pad
and a pen and a

big imagination
Under the Knife!

Most of u prob already know by now (watching n laughin at me limping all over e place..) that I went for a knee operation last wed. It was actually a meniscus repair surgery. The problem surfaced mid last yr..when I was jogging thrice a week. Accompanied with all e things I used to do in army..it was prob a matter of time that it happens…

The operation was due to happen in TTSH and I was required to fast the nite b4..from Midnight onwards. Fasting = Not even a drop of water! (-_-‘). The whole nite b4 the op..i was feeling my knee..n walking around..cos I know I wun walk too comfortably for some time after…

E moment I reached n registered…the nurses got me to go empty my bowels (I’m so starved..wats there to empty??)..n reminded me 1000 times to go pee (pardon me for e language). I den changed into the patient’s operating gown..which looked so stupid..cos I looked like I was wearing a shower cap..goin into e showers..lol.

After changing I was instructed to lie on e bed while they conduct checks on me…that’s where a grp of NUS medical students came in n asked if they could examine me. The 7 or 8 of them took turns to twist my leg around n kept askin “does it hurt?”.. “how about this?”…they seem determined to try till it hurt..lol.

N den I told them with a straight face that I felt like an experiment..and they all frantically apologized sayin that they didn’t mean to make me feel that way. That’s where I gave them the evil laughter..haha..i didn’t mind at all…but I figured e hosp would be pretty critical over how they treated patients..so.. Lol.

I smiled to all e staff that came in contact with me. I’m prob e ‘happiest’ patient they ever had..haha. I was e first patient to be operated on that day and was pushed into the theatres pretty soon…n I muz say lying on e bed..being pushed from corridor to corridor…room to room..with each room getting quieter n quieter..was pretty scary.

The operating theatre was freezing cold and the operating gown was so thin..it was as good as not wearing anything. I was starting to shiver..and havin no food in my tummy certainly didn’t help! But after a while, they placed a hot air blanket on me..which made it really cozy. Originally I wanted anesthesia to be given through the breathing mask..but since I already had the IV tubes plucked into my veins..it didn’t really matter…

After e anesthesia was injected, I was told to take breaths...and dat I’m goin to slp soon…so I breathed…breathed…breathed…n den stared at the anesthesiologist n he was.. “oh breathe somemore!..” lol…but after about 30 secs or so…my vision blurred…jus like in e movies..n eye lids became heavy..n e rest was history…

When I woke..i was still only semi conscious. I rem speaking to e nurses..but I cant really rem wat we were talkin abt..except that they had to check I was able to wake after e anesthesia…if not…hm… haha..

I was very very slpy after..n I jus wanted to slp. After a couple hours of rest..e nurses came again..n they needed me to pee again! Sayin that it was to make sure that e body system is back up and running..n I’m… “where got thing to pee??” I felt like a cow and they were milking me! Haha..

I felt so dry after dat I had 3 glasses of water at one go…n drank another one every 10-15 mins…it was like army all over again..e dehydration feeling..

After letting me try moving ard…they told me I did not need crutches! Hur! Crutches is not for the tough! Haha..

N this was e end product.


"Ahhhhhhh!!!"

"My Leggggg!!!!"

While getting discharged, I was pushed ard on a wheelchair..nv been on one b4…cos I nv had a serious injury..not even during army. While I look like someone who would ‘keng’ in army..i didn’t…I ORD PES A. I took pride in what I did k…lol. Sometimes being on wheelchair can be scary when there’s a slope in front of u…u pray that e nurse who’s pushing u doesn’t hate u!

When I got home in e afternoon…I headed str to bed..cos I felt so so so drowsy still. E nurses said it’ll take a day for e anesthesia to filter out of e body..n dat I shouldn’t do work dat day..cos it'll give me a splitting headache. Apparently..stayin awake is equivalent to the body fightin e anesthesia..which causes e headache.

While in bed..i rem I picked up e phone..tryin to reply to SMSes…but each time I picked up e hp…I would type a few words..n get K.O…den an hour later..i would wake..type a few words..n get K.O again..Lol…n this continued till e evening…

I was prescribed a ton of painkillers! All of which r drowsy…booo. Cos I had to finish up a report for submission the next day…I couldn’t start earlier cos it could only be done after e lesson which was conducted e day b4 e op…I know I wasn’t supposed to do work n stuff..but..i dun wanna fail…lol..it was the final report for e mod.


Look at all my meds!!

"Nooooo!!!!"

Bathing after e op was a chore too! I had to make sure that the wounds didn’t get wet…so my legs had to be under plastic wraps.



Mum to e rescue!!

It looks like..
SLIMMING WRAPS!!

Oh poor meeee~

I would also like to take this chance to tell everyone..I AM NOT DISABLED! Haha..cos everyone treats me like one. N maegan even told me to register for e disabled parking lot in SMU…Grr!

0 comments: