RSS
Just a kid with a pad
and a pen and a

big imagination
Financial Literacy Training

I finally started my first training class with speedb as a facilitator...n the first assignment was at Pasir Ris Crest Secondary school to teach money management skills. It is not exactly my first spell as a trainer for secondary school students though as I have held character education workshops in ZHSS too.

it was a project my team initiated from scratch, convinced schools to let us conduct the trainings and our syllabus was eventually adopted by the Singapore Boys' Home as part of their curriculum. This time round..its a bit diff...in the sense that i did not really have the flexibility to change many things in the course. (if i could..it would be an entirely diff course with same teachings)

I had to leave home early becos like the name suggest..e school is located in Pasir Ris..n i'm like in good old serangoon garderns..but its not like i'm complaining..no where is that far in Singapore to be inaccessible..

When i got there..I was sent to class 3/4 which was a normal acad class..which was a good thing..as I felt i could relate to them better being once from it as well..in fact..when i held my own training at ZHSS..it was towards normal acad classes as well..I tink they are a joy to work with..and many was interested to hear my stories as well..abt my struggles to excel in poly..until how i finally fought off competitions from both poly n JCs to make it to e uni of my first choice (1 in 9 applicants to SMU biz...brag abit..lol..)..

i rem stayin bac after my workshop talkin to some of the students..who were sick of being looked down upon..n some even contacted me in msn after to tell me they were now motivated to strive for the best (maximum satisfaction for my team n I..hee)

but i din reveal to the students at Pasir Ris Crest though..simply becos I wasnt the one kicking things off on the first day..normally in my workshops i would..as it is much easier to create the connection when they know they're with someone who was in the exact same shoes not too long ago..


"hur-hur...i have secret pics of my own!!"

to be honest..i felt the way the workshop started was a pretty lousy way to do so..It is just like a rock concert..it has to start with a bang..to spark interest and set the tone..cos e moment u've lost the first impression..u'll nv get it bac..

this is y gd training companies have their trainings in halls..with speakers, music and activities to kick things off..to shake off the lethargic mentality to enter the 'play-as-you-learn' mode of doin things which is crucial for students who are more right-brained and easily bored (jus like me).

there r no 'stupid' or 'dumb' students..just ineffective ways of teaching..n i felt we werent adopting innovative and cutting edge methods of teaching. Although i am aware some of the trainers would prefer to have gotten express classes..it was very much a lack of education on neuro patterns..hence the misunderstanding. Not dat I have a phD in NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programing)..but at least i bother to read up..n understand ppl like me..



I was very much understudying the manner the courses were conducted the first 2 days..it was onli e third day that i took over and conducted the seminar instead. But I onli gotten the training materials 10pm the night before the third day and there was very limited fluff and activities that I could plan for. My personal objective was to make them feel it was fun to learn..n activities..props..and rewards were key to make it work..which i did not have the luxury of time to do so. So long as it's not fun to learn..nothing will be learnt..

nonetheless..i tried my best the following day. I have to admit it was not as good as I would have wanted it to be...but I feel there was at least progress..spotting response from some students dat were otherwise slpin in the first 2 days..

on the whole..they were playful students to say the least..haha..who could blame them..i sometimes still am..haha..n i rem this boy asking me "who will choose? Girlfriend, mother or work?"

and jus cos i was reluctant to answer that..

they concluded: "Must be girlfriend la!!"

and i'm like: "I didn't say that."

They: "I know one! Cos I saw you and your girlfriend kissing outside!"

and i'm like: "What rubbish!! I dun even have one!!"

haha..i'm like how shy can..

n there was even a student who secretly took pictures while i was teachin..(which was later 'bao-tou' by her frens)...sigh..i hope i wasnt doin some ugly or chor-lor (unglam) gestures..lol..

some of the gals wanted to take pictures at the end of the third day (how honoured I feel..haha)..n i have yet to receive any!! except for one..thanks nabilah!..i realli hope they will send me the rest though..



it was a veri enjoyable time spent over at Pasir Ris Crest..and I sincerely hope they have learnt something..even though dat was wat they said. If given the chance to go back there and teach again..i would have no qualms abt jumpin on the wagon and doin so..

but seriously..with more time and resources..i'm sure the effect of the workshop will be entirely different..

0 comments: